Andrew Carnegie

Andrew Carnegie put it so well: "There is not such a cradle of democracy upon the earth as the Free Public Library, this republic of letters, where neither rank, office, nor wealth receives the slightest consideration."

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Akagera National Park

Hi everyone and thanks for the birthday wishes.  We had a great time at Akagera National Park on Sunday and saw lots of wildlife.  (Even if our day did begin with a 6 am pick-up!)  We were not able to get a guide, but our driver was great and *much* more lenient about letting us get out the car (which we were not supposed to do) and get very close to the animals.  I have not been able to ID all the antelope types yet, so I'll just put up the pictures for you all to see.  I also shot some *video* (geez, what do you call digital motion??), but I warn you, I'm just learning this camera, so don't fault my production values!

On the way back, we ate at a local resturant about half an hour out of Kigali so I think the next blog will focus on food!



Above: the north entrance to the Park and below my favorite animal, the giraffe.  Next door are the zebra and we saw several herds which are wonderful to watch run.

















Below is the happy couple, along with a shot of Marty and our driver, Adabu (we are guessing on the spelling but that's how it sounds).



Below are a few of the antelopes I mentioned.  I have video, but having trouble uploading it here.  So, I'll end now and try to post the video via facebook.


Next up: FOOD!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Beth,

    My name is Arika Herron and I'm a staff writer at the Greenfield Daily Reporter in Greenfield, IN. Your mother, PearlAnn, tipped us off about your project. I've read your blog and think what you're doing is so neat! I'd love to do a story about it. If you could please shoot me an email so we can find a way and time to chat, I'd really appreciate it! My email is aherron@greenfieldreporter.com

    Best!
    Arika

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are such pests...more from Princeton.
    So cool to see animal pictures. You probably know that the Tutsi are exceptional basket weavers (they do cylindrical stuff usually with a black pattern) Very fine work. In USA a Tutsi "thing" = $$$. Lots of good stuff in Rwanda...critters, coffee, basket weaving, and a couple folks from Philly!! J + P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope birthday was great! We will celebrate more when you return! Love these photos-- can only imagine how it feels to be there, the air and sun, with the giraffes and zebras and antelopes... lovely. I also imagine big cats watching unobserved... lounging in the grass and shrubs and trees... like cats!

    ReplyDelete