Andrew Carnegie

Andrew Carnegie put it so well: "There is not such a cradle of democracy upon the earth as the Free Public Library, this republic of letters, where neither rank, office, nor wealth receives the slightest consideration."

Friday, June 10, 2011

Pictures

Ah, the joy of the Internet.  When it works it is wonderful, when you can’t connect – it’s horrible!  So I apologize for the lack of posts and emails lately.  The project started off with a bang, so we've been keeping pretty busy.  I haven't had either the time, or frankly, the connectivity to post.  Plus, uploading speed here is at the modem rate, so everything takes a bit of time.  While the staff at the Park View have been working long hours on the Internet connection, we decided to invest in data sticks for a stronger and more consistent connection.  Anyway, today I'll highlight a few pictures I thought you'd enjoy.
This bird this is the Grey Crowned Crane which we “met” at the Laico Umubano Hotel.  The Laico is one of the nicer hotels in Kigali and where the Rotary Club (which helped establish the library and funded Marty’s Fulbright) meets each Wednesday.  These cranes where just wandering around the grounds and they had no problem with me coming in close to take a picture.  In fact, I'd swear he was posing for me. We attended the club meeting on Wednesday night (the 8th) where Marty made a presentation about the library project.  The hotel also houses a *wonderful* French bakery which leads me to the local currency.


Like many other countries, Rwanda's francs are quite colorful with images of the local flora and faunda.  More people speak French here than I thought would (several guidebooks and web sites said English was more prevelant) and I'm pleased to report that I still remember my French numbers, though it does take me a bit of time to translate!  I'm so pleased I thought to bring my French/English dictionary.
To the left is Marty working hard at our temporary location earlier this week, the Burbon Cafe.  After a a few days, the staff knew us by sight.  It's a big meeting place, we've seen several groups there and have held meetings there ourselves.   


And finally here is the greatest find so far, at least according to Marty: Coke Zero.  Did I mention these came from Egypt - hence the Arabic on the can.  Plus, when was the last time you saw a pop top?  Those things are wicked sharp. 

More posts soon, about the library and a few other odds and ends including my attempt to cook in our apartment.  So you know, I did *not* blow anything up, but I think we'll be eating out more than I'll be cooking! 


No comments:

Post a Comment